Saturday, August 25, 2012

Review: Dragonswood by Janet Lee Carey


Published date: January 5, 2012

Publisher: Dial

Pages: 407 (hardcover)

Summary: (Goodreads)

Wilde Island is not at peace. The kingdom mourns the dead Pendragon king and awaits the return of his heir; the uneasy pact between dragons, fairies, and humans is strained; and the regent is funding a bloodthirsty witch hunt, hoping to rid the island of half-fey maidens.

Tess, daughter of a blacksmith, has visions of the future, but she still doesn't expect to be accused of witchcraft, forced to flee with her two best friends, or offered shelter by the handsome and enigmatic Garth Huntsman, a warden for Dragonswood. But Garth is the younger prince in disguise and Tess soon learns that her true father was fey, making them the center of an exciting, romantic adventure, and an ancient prophecy that will bring about peace between all three races - dragon, human, and fairy.

Review:


This book changed whatever I thought teen fantasy was. Totally reversing the idea of the posh lives that other fantasy heroines live, Dragonswood took me on a journey I will never forget. If I ever happen to forget, I'll just read it again and again. It captured that inner medieval nerd inside me and fed it. Dragonswood eludes the mainstream ideas of fantasy and show us a glimpse of how it might have been like had we lived in the Middle Ages. Maybe minus the dragons and fairies, of course. 

Tess is one of my favorite characters in all of literature. She wasn't brave or courageous. But she was instead witty and resourceful. Tess knew how to get from day to day and how to stay away from her father's meaty fists. She knew what had to happen to survive and I applaud her for her bravery.

I am not a fan of books about witches and tend to steer clear away from them, but Dragonswood held my attention and I found myself immersed into this world of a magical forest and soon, the lives of fugitives. The supporting characters went perfectly along with Tess and the tension that mounts between the girls was lip-chewing worthy. I found myself hating and loving along with Tess. All other witch-dealing doubts were long gone at that point. 

The romance that was sprinkled in there was exactly the right amount, but it was breathtaking all the same. It wasn't lustful or anger driven like most book's romance seem to be these day. It was a love I'll never be able to wrap my head around. 

Complete with a happy ending, Dragonswood will have you gripping the pages as lies unfold before your eyes and blood is spilled. 





1 comment:

  1. OMG I've been DYING for htis book in that need-it-now way!

    ReplyDelete