Saturday, December 29, 2012

Review: Scarlet (Scarlet, #1) by A.C. Gaughen

Published date: February 14th, 2012

Publisher: Walker Childrens

Pages: 292 (hardcover)

Summary: (Goodreads)

Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance.

Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in.

It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.

Review:


For a while now I have been absolutely obsessed with the Robin Hood legend. I found myself watching more and more and reading more and more about the mysterious man who robbed from the rich and gave to the poor. I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I was to finally get my hands on this book.

I’m irrevocably in love with this novel, to say the least. It has been a very, very long while since I've last read a book that was even relatively good. Once I started Scarlet, I knew I had found a new favorite. The plot, that I already knew so well, sucked me in and I soon found that it would take little more than a day for me to finish it. At first I was scared it wouldn't live up to the amazing tale of Robin Hood, but I was wrong. Little did I know, this book would plunge a dagger into my heart and twist it in even deeper the more I read on.

Gaughen's writing is akin to Moira Young’s in Blood Red Road, though not as thick. The main character, Will Scarlet, is clearly a backwoods ruffian. Both in the way she talks and in her thieving actions. She's a son of a gun who will never take any orders from anyone except the dark and angsty Rob. Short for Robin Hood and he's the only one who can keep a handle on Will's free and damaged spirit.


Lately, I've seen YA literature female protagonist become...whiny for a lack of a better term. They whine, cry, and moan for someone to save them. Or they either have too foreign a personality to connect with. Will Scarlet is headstrong, mean, grumpy, and a feminist. She knows that women don't need a man, even in such a time where women are basically cattle. It's the first time I've met a character who has even grumpier mood swings than me.

A.C. Gaughen has to be my new favorite author because she has bent this legend in such a way that it's hard not to get acquainted with it on amazing terms. I've fallen in love again with the brave tale of Robin Hood.


2 comments:

  1. Well, I love the tale of Robin Hood, but I have not read many things about it. Though this seems very interesting.. I will add this to my TBR and great review, Abby!
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this novel as well! I think A.C. Gaughen is just an absolute genius. Did you know Scarlet is her debut novel?
    Great review :)
    Best!
    Emily
    <3

    ReplyDelete