Saturday, January 19, 2013

Review: Anew (Archers of Avalon, #1) by Chelsea Fine

Published date: December 7th, 2011

Publisher: Firefall Publishing 

Where to buy: Amazon 

Summary: (Goodreads)


Two years ago, Scarlet awoke in the forest alone, afraid, and unable to remember anything. Lost and confused, her life was a mystery...until she met a boy with a familiar voice.

Gabriel Archer has a voice from her past, and Scarlet's determined to remember why. She immerses herself in his life only to discover he has a brother he's kept hidden from her: Tristan Archer.

Upon meeting Tristan, Scarlet's world becomes even more muddled. While she's instinctively drawn to Gabriel, she's impossibly drawn to Tristan--and confused out of her mind. As she tries to piece together her history Scarlet realizes her past...might just be the death of her.

Review:


            I am still not sure exactly how I stumbled upon Anew, but I am glad I did. I had doubts that it wouldn't live up to the high expectations people put on YA these day. Soon, Chelsea’s talent shone though the qualms I had placed on Anew. I can say I was pleasantly surprised in that aspect as I realized it could hold its own in the fast sea of teen novels. It’s a little gem, hidden among the good and the bad, the unpopular and the popular. It deserves a spotlight much larger and brighter than the one it has now.
This book started off a little mediocre, but then drifted off soon into its own story which I really ended up loving. Some parts were a little bit predictable and Scarlet, one of the main protagonists, seemed really shallow at points. In the beginning of Anew, she was strong yet unsure of everything. Scarlet is just one of those characters that you can very easily connect with. When she met the love-cursed brothers, Tristan and Gabriel, she changed. She became a little dependent on them and I can say honestly, I didn't like it. Scarlet eventually reached a point where she knew she needed to grow a little more backbone and soon became the girl I knew she could be, hoped she could be as a character. 
Only so much was reveled in this book and I can only imagine all the action/drama the other books are dripping with. I hope to read them both very soon. 
A magical tale filled with intrigue from the past and present, Anew will astound you with its cute charm. 



No comments:

Post a Comment