Friday, January 4, 2013

Review: The Pledge (The Pledge, #1) by Kimberly Derting

Published date: November 15th, 2011

Publisher: Margret K. McElderry

Pages: 323 (hardcover)

Summary: (Goodreads)
In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she's spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed.

Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can't be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country's only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime

Review:

Truthfully, I don't even know where to begin. I can't really decide if this book was really bad or really good. Thinking more about it, I've decided that it was just okay. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't really deserve to sit on my favorites shelf, but it didn't disappoint me enough to quit it. I think I had too high a standard for this book. I’m not even sure if it made me feel anything emotionally. The only emotion that comes to mind to describe this novel is just a bunch of ughhhhh. Did I like it? Yeah, I sort of did. Did I dislike it? Yeah, sort of... See my dilemma? 
This book did surprise me though...and by that I mean I had previously thought it would be super predictable. Yes, some parts you knew were coming, but at other times I was blown off my feet by some of the plot twists that were thrown in. That's what made me really like this book. The fact that I couldn't guess what was going on all the time was a refreshing experience. I find most YA novels fairly ease to predict. I guess that's why I came to like it enough to continue reading it. 
On the other hand it did indeed disappointing me. The writing though I found very original and definite like a gulp of fresh water in a dry, dystopian-filled shelf. It combined both-a fantasy and what I want to say might have also been a post-apocalyptic society as well-genres very uniquely. But... (the dreaded word!) I found the main character, Charlie, very whinny and flat. She didn't seem really realistic at parts and I just couldn't connect with her on any level. Charlie's friend, Brooklyn, should have been the main character or also a main character. And if possible, one day I'd love to see Brook's back story. 
Don't even get me started on the romance... By the middle of the book I was trying to figure out who liked who and why did everyone seem to like like Charlie but really loved someone else. Confusing? Yes. Very.
Even thought I was disappointed, I am indeed going to read the sequel but maybe not at the moment. I want this one to sink in a little bit more before I move on.

Sorry for the long review, my peeps.





No comments:

Post a Comment