Saturday, January 26, 2013

Review: Scarlette by Dovanna Juroe

Published date: October 12th, 2012

Publisher: BumbleB Media, Inc.

Pages: 326 (Kindle edition) 

Summary: (Goodreads)
Scarlette, an 18-year-old peasant, lives under a dark threat. A nightmarish creature lurks in the surrounding forest, killing the villagers one by one. When Scarlette's grandmother survives an attack, Scarlette learns that her grandmother hasn't suffered the bite of just any normal animal. 

 Now desperate, Scarlette searches throughout her province to find a cure. But there are those who want to keep their pasts hidden. As she begins to uncover the dark secrets of her village, Scarlette is befriended by a local nobleman and a woodcutter who share a gruesome history with the beast. To save her grandmother, Scarlette must unravel their mystery and solve an age-old crime. But as she pieces together the clues, Scarlette finds herself torn between the two men, both of whom want to be more than friends and hold the key to the cure.

 What if Little Red Riding Hood was Real? 

 Based on both the Grimm and Perrault versions of Little Red Riding Hood and set against the terrifying, historic Beast of Gévaudan attacks, this dark YA retelling blends two epic legends, giving the fabled girl-in-the-red-cloak a new, shockingly real existence.

Review:

         Novels based in the fairy tale world that Little Red lives in have been a favorite of mine since I was a child. Growing up with movies like Hoodwinked, the tale always stayed in the comedic genre whenever I thought about it. There wasn't any of the blood, gore, and drama like Red Riding Hood was meant to have. Granted, I was only a child, but now that I am a young-adult I find these stories very entertaining as it appeals to the darker side of me.
 tt_zpsfd9d7bbc.gif           What made Scarlette stand out so much to me was the fact it was not only Grimm's version, but Perrault's also. I am not as familiar with Perrault's as I am Grimm's which made this novel find a louder voice in the crowd of Little Red books. My only prior experience to the more morbid side of the fairy tale is the movie starring Amanda Seyfried and the book it was based off of, titled Red Riding Hood.
           Scarlette started off very slow, stating what most of us already knew about Red Riding Hood as a character. The setting was the same as all the rest them. In my head, the village that Scarlette lives in looks exactly like Amanda Seyfried's movie. That wasn't a fact that could turn me away from this book though. Once I got a few more pages in, the mediocre sense that had surrounded this book fled. Soon this book took on a whole new aspect to the name Little Red and I couldn't even think straight after the events of this book unfolded. It was glorious, truly.
        I really enjoyed Scarlette as a character. She was different and fresh, strong and weak all at the same time. She made stupid decisions that I totally understood. Placing myself in her position, I would have lain down and died. Scarlette was stubborn and trusted only a few people, but again I couldn't blame her. To me, Little Red is one of the strongest fairy-tale characters out there, and with Scarlette that fact became even truer. 
       The romance side of Scarlette was absolutely amazing. There is indeed a love triangle but it is the best one I've read to date. This book made me thankful for the three sided figure. One man, rich and powerful, but gentle. The other, strong, annoying, and arrogant. For Scarlette, choosing was a lot easier than it seemed.
       The best thing about these stories is always finding out who the wolf is and Juroe pushed it off until the very end. Till literally the last few pages is when all hell breaks loose. Such a truly amazing plot and I loved how it unfolded. I wish there was going to be a follow-up novel, but I don't think there will be. I'd love to see the Little Red characters after the wolf’s fate had passed. If Juroe will write it, I'll read it



1 comment:

  1. Abby! Thanks so much for reviewing and featuring Scarlette. I'm glad you enjoyed the novel.

    ReplyDelete