Friday, March 8, 2013

Book Tour + Guest Post: Your Guardian Angel by Skyla Madi


Your Guardian Angel by Skyla Madi

Genre:Young Adult

Date Published:12/4/12

 For Ruby Moore life is far more complicated than that of your average teen,
for she is in no way average. Ruby is a vampire and her life as a vampire is far
from traditional...

It has been one year since her normal life was brutally taken from her. Still adjusting
to the shock of the change from mortal to immortal, her world is rocked again and
she is taken under the wings of a guardian angel back to Sage Sanctum, a school
beyond reach from the vampires that are determined to destroy her.

There, she is freed from her vampire chains and her normal needs and urges return.
However, a new urge arises... Lust. A forbidden lust toward her savior, her guardian
angel.

Attempting to control these desires is difficult, very difficult and when things
couldn't possibly get any worse, her situation becomes life or death as someone,
somewhere in the school is aiding those who want her dead.


Authors That Have Inspired You:

So many authors have inspired me to write. The first was John Marsden. I was never a big reader until I read The Tomorrow Series by John Marsden. I found ‘Tomorrow When the War Began’ on the side of the road when I was walking home from school one day and I picked it up. Later, I read it and when I finished it, I was absolutely blown away. I didn’t think that writing could ever take someone to a whole new world because I’d never experienced it before then. After that I became an avid reader and from there I ended up at Stephenie Meyers ‘Twilight’ series which opened me up to the paranormal side of reading. Once I devoured that I moved on to other authors like Jane Austen, C.S Lewis, Richelle Mead, Becca Fitzpatrick, Suzanne Collins and Lauren Kate. All of these have inspired me in their own way.

 10 Things Reader's Would Be Surprised To Know About You:

1.       I want to write a book in (almost) every genre.
2.       I write to relax—it doesn’t stress me out, it makes me happy.
3.       In books, I like stoic, protective male leads.
4.       I was married at seventeen.
5.       I had my daughter just before my eighteenth birthday.
6.       I don’t write in an office—all of my work is done from the comfort of my couch.
7.       I’m learning a second language. (Farsi)
8.       I only write when my daughter is asleep.
9.       I enjoy playing videogames and I’ve owned almost every game console ever released.
10.   I have started a library in my home. I have 76 paperback books and 126 ebooks.

How Do You Keep Your Writing Different?:

I guess the hardest thing about writing a novel is coming up with an original plot. There are so many books out there and the odds of you writing a similar plotline as another book is quite high. I believe that half the time the plot doesn’t have to be original. For example; you can take your average Snow White fairy-tale and change the events (even the main character if you want to) and there you go, it’s different.

For me, I don’t read whilst I’m writing, or, if I do read whilst I write, I read an entirely different genre. The last thing you want is for your brain to subconsciously slip in events from the book you’ve just read or names etc. At least then you know in your heart that you didn’t replicate anyone else’s work.


My brain is constantly working on new stories, I even dream about new stories and concepts. To keep my writing different, I make up the character first and what hardships I want her/him to go through. Then, I decide whether I want her/him to be human or not and after that, everything seems to fall into place on its own.

 Starting Out As A Writer – 5 Things You Should Know:

1.       Take your time and don’t rush your writing.  You’ll regret it later.
2.       Expect rejections and don’t let them get to you. Rejections from publishers can be a little depressing, but they are also a critical part of the writing process—nothing motivates me more than someone that tells me NO.
3.       Research publishing companies carefully. Make sure you’re getting the best deal for your book.
4.       Don’t let bad reviews get to you. Before my first book was published I’d have all kinds of horrible dreams about bad reviews and I’d freak out and email my publisher (who was very supportive). At the end of the day, bad reviews don’t matter. Not everyone is going to like it and that’s okay. Once you get one or two bad reviews it gets easier to brush off.
5.       If writing is something you love to do, don’t let it turn into something that stresses you out. Take breaks when you need to or do something else for a little while and come back to it later.

 How to Identify Your Writing Problems:

The best way I identify my writing problems is firstly, I write a chapter and leave it for a day or two (maybe even a week) when I come back to it, I find all kinds of mistakes and awkward wording that I never noticed before. Once it is no longer fresh on your brain, it is easier to pick up on things. Secondly, I get my husband to read through it. He tends to find a lot more mistakes than I do and thirdly, I listen to critics and take on board what they feel needs improving—I’m always open for change and I love learning new things


Skyla Madi was born in the small town of Port Maquarie, New South Wales in
1993. She spent half her life growing up in Wauchope, a thriving rural town at
the heart of the Hastings River Valley before making the leap to the busy city of
Brisbane.

Whenever this young Australian writer isn’t changing diapers, watching cartoons,
cooking for her husband or doing other motherly-wife things she is actively
working on her writing and improving her writing skills.

Skyla loves to read just as much as she loves to write and since discovering
that YA/paranormal romance/urban fantasy/ are her favourite genres, she has
embarked on her own writing journey and is currently working on a YA series
titled ‘Your Guardian Angel’.

Skyla's Twitter // Facebook // Blog // 

Reading Addiction Blog Tours

No comments:

Post a Comment