Monday, March 18, 2013

Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Published date: January 10th, 2012

Publisher: Dutton

Pages: 313 (hardcover)

 Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.



There are many words I can use to describe The Fault in Our Stars. Among them are heartbreaking, uplifting, and all those other words you’ve seen people already describe this book as. But when thinking of this book, I think of the word brilliant. Extremely bright or radiant, vivid. A galaxy full of stars that only John can understand enough to write them down. I’ve never seen such intelligence in teen fiction.
            There were so many ups and downs in this book I felt like I was on a rollercoaster that, honestly, I never wanted to end. I’m sure that analogy has been used over much, but it seems fitting here. The character’s lives would go up and then crash down so hard I couldn’t even scream. Didn’t have time to. I soon found myself trapped on that fictional rollercoaster and there was no way I could get off then.
            Hazel, the main protagonist, is a brave girl. Many girls in her situation would have just lain down and have just done off with it. I wouldn’t have half the courage she possesses in her situation. She doesn’t know if she’ll continue to stay almost-okay or if the cancer will come back, just to take her away.
            But like all great stories, it involves a boy. A speck on Hazel’s otherwise slow life. Augustus Waters. The rollercoaster shoots up and the story drifts by in an almost euphoric manner. Happiness and love abounds as the two cancer patients find their way into each other’s heart. Augustus is all the things anyone could ever want, even in a friend. He’s caring, funny, and considerate. Always keeps you on your toes.
            Green’s wit has seeped into these two characters and I found it really hard not to laugh at this wittiness even in the most serious of times. He truly is a genius. A genius with an unfathomable gift.  
            I have never ever all-out cried, sobbed, about a book like I have with this one. I’ve never even cried that hard in my whole life. This novel has a way of getting into your heart and making a place there. These characters were more real than the kids I know. I guess that’s what makes this book so genuinely amazing. It showed me what life can mean even in the darkest of times and the happiest. I feel like you can’t have one without the other.
            This novel is a classic in its own right and I hope to see great things come of it. xx



3 comments:

  1. Good grief. The blurb and review alone got me emotional. I WANT TO READ THIS BOOK SO BAD BUT THINK I WILL DIE FROM ALL ZE FEELS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW I ALMOST DID. IT WAS SO FREAKING GOOD BUT SO SAD AT THE SAME TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this book, I know I do, I love watching John Green's vlogs and it is so sad for me to say that I have not read one of his books yet.

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete