Monday, March 11, 2013

Review: Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Published date: January 8th 2013

Publisher: Dutton

Pages: 368(hardcover)

A breathtaking journey toward self-discovery and true love, from the author of If I Stay

When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.

Just One Day is the first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem’s story—Just One Year—is coming soon!


Have you ever had one of those book moments where you just put off reading something because you know you'll get really attached to it and will never love a book the same? Or maybe hate it even though everyone loves it SO much? No? Hmm...well then. I put off reading Just One Day until the last minute because I knew, just knew, that if I started it there would be no going back. Ladies and gentlemen, Gayle Forman deserves all of the awards that could ever be given to an author and her book.

I've always wanted to know what it felt like to travel to another country. Allyson Healey gets that chance, the chance one day maybe I'll have. She goes on a tour of a few big cities in Europe, but soon finds it quite boring and uselessly tiresome. At first, I didn't understand why someone could find all of those grand cities so... mediocre and quite tiresome. I soon saw conclusions being drawn as Allyson's family (and her life with them) was introduced  Having being told where to go and what to be her whole life, she just got fed up with it all. I can't blame her when she finally makes the descision to just let go. This is when she meets Willem, the actor. Beautiful, foreign, he's what all girls want. Naturally a player, Allyson believes that she won't be just the next girl he uses. When Willem volunteers to take her to Paris, Allyson throws all caution to the wind. Then inevitable happens. Lost and alone Allyson wonders about the significance of just one day.

Where does one start when describing their absolute favorite novel? All I want to do is scream and cry and laugh and...I don't really even know anymore. When I first started this novel I knew I would love it but I wasn't expecting this. I wasn't expecting to be blown into another country and be heartbroken and sad. Feeling all of these emotions for one book is unheard of from me. This novel taught me how to love and live even if it is for just one day.

This book will move you and tear you up and spit you out. There's no turning back once you open it up. There truly isn't. I hope you listen to me and be prepared when you do get the chance to read this book. Because you won't remember a time before you came along the ride with Allyson and most importantly, you won't want to. xx

1 comment: