Saturday, March 9, 2013

Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Date Published: April 5th 2011

Publisher: Dutton

Pages: 271 (Kindle Edition)

 It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.


Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future-and each other.



Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I StayWhere She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.


There isn't much I can say about this novel other than what I said previously in my review of If I Stay which you can find here.

Where She Went is written from Adam's point of view whereas If I Stay was from Mia’s. It's also set a few years after the events in the first novel rather than right after. I found that fact to be very bold choice. I expected it to pick up right where we left off in the first novel. I wasn't disappointed though because once again Forman more than makes up for anything with her ability to play the reader's heartstrings. 

Adam’s mind and actions were so abstract to me in If I Stay and I found it--honestly--amazing to see into his world after we’d only seen Mia’s. Lots have changed about him, the small-town rocker. Well, he isn't really small-town anymore. More like big-town, if that makes any sense. He's moved on from the little town he had his roots in like most rock stars do in reality. I found it so amazing how beautifully Forman can write Adam. He's real, not many male characters are real to me in young adult especially when written by a female author. Forman can play him out like Adam can play his guitar. She cuts him open in this book and he bleeds all over the pages for the already-brokenhearted reader.

After the events of the first novel, he's...different. Truthfully  I didn't recognize him when the first chapter started but I felt like he came out the more and more he realized...well, everything. Realized what he wanted.

Sometimes I feel like there are times when we just know things are changing, moving, all around us and when Adam shows up at one of Mia’s cello concerts, it's one of those times. You know what's going to happen, but you don't. I guess that's what makes this novel so bittersweet.

Where She Went is a stunning sequel to the novel that changed my outlook on life and literature. 


3 comments:

  1. WOW. LOvely review, Abby
    I really wanna start reading this series
    Your reader,
    Soma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this review and your first review! These books touched me so much and I like what you had to say about Adam! I guess growing up around music people I didn't realize how she had mastered his voice so well. But looking at this, I can see it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I haven't read If I Stay, but I certainly want to now.

    ReplyDelete