Saturday, April 13, 2013

Review: The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2) by Julie Kagawa

Published date: April 30th, 2013
by Harlequin Teen
Pages: 446 (hardcover)

 Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.


Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.






This time last year, I was stuffing my face into Julie Kagawa’s new book, The Immortal Rules. I was completely spellbound by this new world of vampires, vampire-like zombies, and disease. It was the first of its kind known to me and one the few dystopian books I can call my favorite. Prior to this novel, vampires were hated by me. I had only taken a chance on The Immortal Rules because of Kagawa’s talent shown in her other series, the Iron Fey. She somehow always manages to surprise me in her novels with her ability to create fiction almost as if it was non-fiction. Not many people can build such a dark worldfilled with blood, malice, and intrigueto the degree she has. Her world building skills are...there really are no words known to me in the English language that could describe her powers.

The Blood of Eden’s second novel opens up near where we left off. Allison Sekemoto’s duty to the group she had been traveling with has been fulfilled and she now seeks to walk another darker, more dangerous path. Allison’s strength, prowess, and dignity still amaze me as she deals with the lot she’s been given. Old enemies seep their way back into this story’s many webs and new friends are made in very unlikely places.


Not one character in teen literature can kick butt like Allison Sekemoto can. I have never encountered her abilities before or after reading about her escapades as part of the undead. Both her walk and talk show just how confident she is in this vampire skin. She’s changed a lot from the little street rat she'd once been and she struggles to see if that's a good or bad thing. As the bleak world she'd been born into was starting to darken even more, Allison no longer believed that love or hopein its purest formcan exist. Only loyalty. But there’s one boy that can show her very differently.


The dystopian world that exists in this novel is very unique. It's quite bloody and gruesome, sinking into your thoughts with a bite quite literally. Whenever I think about this novel, the colors red and black seep into every thought. The Eternity Cure indeed is a dark and blindly beautiful book.
As I've said before, this series is one of my favorites. I've also learned that Julia Kagawa will always have surprises up that sleeve of hers that she eloquently displays in all of her novels. So in the end, I hated it because I have to wait once more for the next novel. The ending to this novel is the very definition of a cliffhanger. 


There's action, emotions, and plenty of butt to kick in this mind-blowing next installment to the Blood of Eden series.


No comments:

Post a Comment